Solar-Ready Roofs, help needed [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Apr 28 20:29:59 PDT 2007

Wrenches,
New Mexico has been putting out a pretty concerted effort to encourage
implementation of RE on many levels. I give Governor (and now Demo prez
candidate) Richardson a lot of credit for initiating efforts at many
levels - legislature, agencies, regulatory commission, etc. - to move NM
toward more clean energy. (For more info on energy issues, check out
http://nmccae.org/.) Later on this year the Richardson administration and
the CIC will pursue various "beyond code" enhancements, a process which
should include consideration of possible "solar-ready" roof provisions.

Here's my request: There seems to be little precedent for solar-ready roof
provisions around the US, so I am seeking input on this topic. Do you have
state standards where you are? Can you tell me what works and what doesn't?
What would a model code look like?

Some obvious questions that need to be resolved are:
1) When should the installation of mounting brackets be required?
2) What type of brackets? What spacing for the brackets?
3) What should be included about building orientation?
4) Should there be suggestions regarding roof strength?
5) How large should the solar collection area be? The current draft suggests
requirements based on requiring a minimum amount of PV generation based on
the square footage of the foundation (as opposed to floor space, because a
multi-story building has less roof area per square foot of floor area). The
current draft also requires an area for solar thermal to achieve a minimum
amount of solar hot water for bathrooms and residential kitchens.
6) What type of requirement should there be to accommodate the installation
of solar thermal piping?
7) What type of requirement for PV wiring? The current draft recommends 1
inch metal emt conduit.

Thank you in advance for suggestions on these requirements.

Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php