remote home protection [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Sat Apr 14 19:22:12 PDT 2007

I sometimes write articles and have recently received very sad stories from several different readers living in off-grid cabins or remote homes. Each had been away for a few days or left for a long trip to town and returned to find their homes and storage buildings totally trashed and all of their tools, chain-saws, guns, stored foods, and electronics were missing. What was not stolen was broken or trashed because there was no hurry since nobody lived anywhere near them. Several of these folks were women living alone in what they had thought were very peaceful areas of their states, and all complained that the local police/sheriff was a joke and they felt like they had been raped.

I was wondering if this is a new trend in crime as more and more homesteaders head for rural areas and if you all have run into this with some of your remote off-grid clients. Of course the next question is - were the criminals ever caught and what, if anything, did the homeowner do afterwards to try and reduce their risk?

Several have suggested one of those motion sensing video recorders or motion sensing hunters cameras. Of course being off-grid or remote the solution should not require lots of electrical power. Most of my rural clients are well armed, but that is no good if the criminals wait until they leave their land.

Any stories you can tell or advice we all could use to reduce the risk?

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com