Rainwater pump question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Mar 9 13:54:11 PST 2007

Wrenches,
A customer is building an off-grid home for which we have already provided a
small system (1kW array, GVFX3524 on Midnite MNE175 chassis, MX60, 8
S-460s). My question is about the water system.

The house will have two water sources: community-based well potable system
with gravity supply to house, and rainwater to serve toilets, washer, and
irrigation. The rainwater will collect in three 1600-gallon poly tanks,
plumbed sequentially.

I plan to use a Grundfos 10SQ05-160 AC, 1/2 hp 115VAC soft start submersible
pump in the third tank. The system will have a sediment filter, pressure
switch and tank located in the mechanical room, and no exterior pump pit.
The pump will rest horizontally inside a 4" PVC shroud, on blocks above the
bottom of the tank.

My AC pump supplier tells me that this approach is becoming fairly common in
our area, as more people put in rainwater catchment systems. I trust his
advice and plan to go through with this; just haven't done it before.

Who has done this? Any tips or warnings? And what do you suggest to serve as
blocks in the tank, on which to rest the pump in its shroud?

Thanks in advance,
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com