human resource question [RE-wrenches]

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Tue Jan 23 10:42:10 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hello Wrenches,
My business (installer/retailer) is at a point of potential expansion
and I am trying to crack the nut of human resources, i.e. how do I go
about bringing on new members of the team. I have considered
partnership options (active partner), apprenticeship, and outright
hiring of a person with some electrical/mechanical qualifications. I do
off grid installations almost exclusively and in my part of the world
it is a very seasonal business so hiring someone on a full time basis
is economically impossible. The partnership option holds some interest
but there are lots of pitfalls and finding the right person is the
trick.

Many of you have grown your business past the threshold where I am at,
can you share your experiences and offer suggestions? How did you find
your human resources, how has it worked out? What would you do
differently? If I hire & train someone I could be training my
competition. If I don't do anything I could be inviting competition
(and killing myself with overwork).

Ron Young
Solareagle

- - - -