jobsite ratio [RE-wrenches]

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Tue Jan 9 21:06:34 PST 2007

Guys and gals,

I've been asked to give testimony to the Hawai'i Contractors License Board
before their meeting this month.  Here in the state, there's a requirement
that there be a 1-to-1 ratio on any electrical jobsite of one licensed
electrician per apprentice/helper, a requirement that is widely ignored by
virtually everybody.  Nonetheless, if an electrical contractor is regularly
flaunting it in a big way, it's not unheard of that the contractor will be
reported (usually by the IBEW) to the State Department of Commerce and
Consumer Affairs and be subjected to some fine.  (This happened not too long
ago on the Big Island and the contractor was fined a whopping $1500.)

My question to you all: on a commercial PV job, what would you estimate,
percentage wise, the man/woman-hours spent on the whole module mounting
process?  Not including wiring, but including bringing all mounting hardware
and modules to the roof, attaching the mounting hardware, attaching the
modules, attaching the module ground lugs, etc.  Does this comprise 20
percent? 40 percent of the total time spent on a commercial job?  And, how
about the percentage of time doing the above on a residential job?

My estimate is that for a commercial job, the mechanical tasks I've
described above will take 30-50 percent of the total hours spent on the
commercial PV job with residential jobs being something less, like 20-40
percent.  I'd appreciate your input on this as the Board is considering
modifying this 1-to-1 ratio for PV jobsites.

thanks in advance,
marco

Marco Mangelsdorf, Ph.D., President
Electrical Contractor License C-26351