5000W/ 48V water heater dump load element [RE-wrenches]

William Bryce wlbryce at pineridgeproducts.com
Tue Dec 26 17:38:53 PST 2006

Hi Dan

At our wind test site we have 18.5 K w possible output (combined)  from
4 different turbines. This means we have a bunch of excess power to use.
Our house is heated with a one zone in-floor hot water system. We use a
80 gallon hot water tank with standard AC heating elements.  (For backup
we use a pellet stove)

We chose a standard AC  tank is because it contains all the safety
devices already on the tank and was lower in cost. The heating elements
are run off a dedicated Outback inverter (with  a 240v step-up
transformer) that is controlled by the OB Aux out.  Altho this is more
costly  because of the limited number of inverters for a 48Volt system,
it does make for a system that is extremely reliable and simple for the
end user and less work for the installer. The AC heating elements can be
"matched" to the inverter powering the system, and also offer cheaper
replacements in the event of element burnout.  This is the 3rd year of
operation of this system without problems.

As a installer, the thought DC heating system that is integrated with
multiple dump loads  dumping from the Excel-R 7.5Kw (not sure were you
get the 10Kw from if 48V) turbine seems like lots of work and callbacks.
This system has allowed us to move from a LP gas heated house to  a Wind
heated house. Last year we had the 1000 gallon LP tank removed, and the
system has now proved reliable.

One thought for consideration will be the estimated BTU's that will be
needed to heat the space, that will impact the amount of storage and the
recovery rate of the heated water over time.

Pine Ridge Products LLC
1646 East Highwood RD
Belt, MT 59412
406-738-4283