Hype alert heads up [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Thu Nov 30 08:31:42 PST 2006

We got this same call last year.  First they started out saying the were producing a 30 minute segment for a national week-end TV show hosted by someone I choose not to name as I do not think she was part of this.   After several followup calls and mailing of promotional materials about our solar firm over a 2 week period, they finally set the hook by saying "of course we will need to pay about $25,000 to help off-set some of their production costs, but that is cheap compaired to the advertising benefit we would receive".

Apparantly these are small time independent producers who film show segments they market to national programs. I assume they stick a wet finger into the wind and see whats the newest innovation or public interest for the week then Google search for anyone they can dupe into paying for what they were first told was a "news" story about them.

Very sad but no worse than the 50 e-mails I get every day from somebody in some sink-hole country with $50,000,000 some king who died left laying around and would I please let them park the funds in my checking account until they can get out of their country.  Of course they need my checking account information, but Ha, they are willing to give me half for my trouble.

I know this stuff has been around forever, but it seems to me like it is getting far more common and much more destructive.

Watch your back!

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.