L feet vs. Standoffs [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri Nov 24 09:08:39 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Steve:

We've put in hundreds of L-feet and hundreds of the Direct Power Power
Posts.  Never a leak (well, once, one employee forgot to fill in a pilot hole).

We always make sure the L-bracket sits flat on a single course of comp
shingles.  If the shingles are "architectural", that is with multi-layers
in a pattern, you may need to remove a slice of the top layer so you have a
flat surface.  I used Geo-cel once until I noticed on the label it said not
for asphalt shingles.  We have settled on Rain Buster 14000.  It comes in
clear so matches any color of roofing.

We used the Fast Jacks once but did not like the fact that there is only
one lag hole.  We now use the Direct Power Power post and really like it.

For flashings, we like the Oatey 11830 and 11831.

Good luck

>I have only put in a half dozen systems and only two of those were roof
>mounted with L feet on composition roofs.  I'm a little uneasy about these L
>feet.
>
>Any comments?  My concern is roof leaks.  I use good sealer, Geo-seal.
>
>One installer told me he always used Fast Jacks with roof boots. I'm
>thinking that may be a better way to go.
>
>I have a 12kw system with 72 panels on a asphalt shingle roof and have to
>decide how I am going to mount - L feet or stand offs.
>

>Steve Johnson
>LightWave Electric
>Nashville, Tennessee

- - - -