Confirmation of 100% duty cycle, OB breakers [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 14:31:32 PST 2006

Phil and Chris
Am I out of spec?  My 13 PSPV breakers have at peak
total current of over 500 Amps.  They are in a
slightly modified PSAC (I opened the cutout a little
wider to get the 13 brakers in).  The breakers are all
60 amp for the PSPV (I think),  They get very warm.
Is there a limit to the DC current I can pass through
a PSAC or PSDC?

--- Christopher Freitas  --- OutBack Power
<cfreitas at outbackpower.com> wrote:

> Phil -
>
> Sorry for the delay - I was out of the office last
> week.
>
> All of the breakers used on in the OutBack products
> are 100% rated
> hydraulic-magnetic type breakers EXCEPT where we
> have used the square-D
> breakers in the AC bypass assemblies (which are
> being replaced with the
> new FLEXware systems which use only the OutBack/CBI
> type breakers.
>
> We did run the 100% approval tests on the PSPV with
> the box completely
> loaded with 15 amp breakers carrying a total of 180
> amps DC through it
> (a total of 12 breakers @ 15 amps each).  So it is
> not an issue there.
>
> We also did testing on the DC versions "PS"
> enclosures for 100% testing
> but it was not as thorough as what we did on the
> PSPV.  Since the AC
> versions of the "PS" enclosures did not have all
> 100% rated breakers in
> them we did not test these versions at all.
>
> So - the bottom line is that the PSPV is acceptable
> for 100% duty use -
> the PS2/PS4 DC enclosures and somewhat.  We are
> starting to ship the new
> FLEXware enclosures versions and we are completing
> the 100% testing on
> them - both the AC and DC versions.
>
> Althought the hydraulic/magnetic breaker's trip
> level are not affected
> by the breaker's temperatures - the breakers will
> get warm which could
> cause the terminals of the DC breakers reaching the
> temperature rating
> of the cable and terminals involved. We do not pack
> in as many breakers
> together in the DC enclosures so I have not seen
> temperature rise to be
> a big deal in my experience.  The AC boxes might be
> where temperature
> issues occur - but most systems can live with a 80%
> dearte if required.
>

> I will follow up on this once we complete the tests
> - probably next
> week.
>
> Christopher
>
> pundercuffler wrote:
> >
> > Christopher,
> >
> > Can you help clarify an issue that arose during a
> John Wiles training
> > yesterday?
> >
> > Are the OBDC, OBAC and OBPV breakers rated for
> 100% duty cycle as
> > mounted in their enclosures?
>
> Christopher Freitas
> OutBack Power Systems, Inc.