Confirmation of 100% duty cycle, OB breakers [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 03:28:18 PST 2006

HI Phill
I had the same concern in that my large system has 13
OBDC 100 Amp (1" wide) as the PV entrance breakers, in
a modified OBDC cabinet in a boiler room. placed
nexted to each other.    These inturn feed 13 OBPV 60
amp (about 1/2" wide next to each other) in a modified
OBAC in the same boiler room, which in turn feed 13
MX60s which in turn feed 13 OBDC 80 amp breakers (3/4"
wide) all next to each other, feeding a bus bar and
then 12 OBDC 100 amp (1" wide) all next to each other
supplying 12 FX3648 with 12 OBAC all next to each
other,  all in the same boiler room.  The breakers
that get the hottest are the OBPV I havw had no
failures or nucence trips.  I did have a trip due to a
accidental short several times.

--- Phil Undercuffler <p.undercuffler at conergy.us>
wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> Can you help clarify an issue that arose during a
> John Wiles training
> yesterday?
>
> Are the OBDC, OBAC and OBPV breakers rated for 100%
> duty cycle >>>as mounted
> in their enclosures? <<< (emphasis added)
>
> John mentioned numerous times the “thermal heating
> effect” of multiple
> breakers when mounted in their enclosure require
> de-rating the capacity of a
> breaker, to 80%.  We are all familiar with the “you
> can’t run something at
> 100% unless the manufacturer says you can” 80%
> de-rate.  However, he
> specifically questioned whether the OutBack breakers
> had been tested and
> listed to maintain their 100% rating if mounted in
> an enclosure.
>
> My memory is that CBI breakers have a
> hydraulic-magnetic trip mechanism,
> which is not affected by thermal effects.  Is this
> true, and if so, is it
> true of both the OBAC and OBPV breakers?  What about
> the OBDC, which are
> made by a different manufacturer?  Finally, does it
> apply if the breakers
> are installed in a fully loaded enclosure?
>
> We appreciate the clarification.
>

> Phil Undercuffler
> Technical Service Manager, ext. 0741
> Conergy, Inc.