Confirmation of 100% duty cycle, OB breakers [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Fri Nov 3 13:04:54 PST 2006

Christopher,

Can you help clarify an issue that arose during a John Wiles training
yesterday?

Are the OBDC, OBAC and OBPV breakers rated for 100% duty cycle >>>as mounted
in their enclosures? <<< (emphasis added)

John mentioned numerous times the “thermal heating effect” of multiple
breakers when mounted in their enclosure require de-rating the capacity of a
breaker, to 80%.  We are all familiar with the “you can’t run something at
100% unless the manufacturer says you can” 80% de-rate.  However, he
specifically questioned whether the OutBack breakers had been tested and
listed to maintain their 100% rating if mounted in an enclosure.

My memory is that CBI breakers have a hydraulic-magnetic trip mechanism,
which is not affected by thermal effects.  Is this true, and if so, is it
true of both the OBAC and OBPV breakers?  What about the OBDC, which are
made by a different manufacturer?  Finally, does it apply if the breakers
are installed in a fully loaded enclosure?

We appreciate the clarification.

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Service Manager, ext. 0741
Conergy, Inc.