Battery Fuel Gauge [RE-wrenches]

Dan Fink danbob at otherpower.com
Fri Nov 3 08:28:28 PST 2006

I usually recommend the TriMetric or Pentametric from Bogart over the
Emeter to customers. The reasons:
-the E-Meter has only 4 LEDs in the bar graph, when the first one goes
out, that's 25% discharge and it's time to start the generator.
-the E-meter takes a big hole saw and creativity to install neatly.
-the 4th function on the E-meter when it's cycling through its screen
display is 'time remaining until 50% discharge' -- I never recommend 50%
discharge.
-I have the E-meter, and it puts out a big burst of RFI once a second as
it samples. The harmonics interfere greatly with my fire department
radio, on our main fire frequency. I have to walk 200 feet from the
house to get rid of it.

For customers that do have the E-meters, I'll tell them to leave it on
amp-hours and start the genset when it shows -25%. I much prefer meters
that show state of charge as a detailed percentage.

DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com