Outback PS2 Enclosure Confusion [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed Nov 1 12:32:01 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Wrenches,

We just took delivery on a set of Outback PS2 components for a power panel
that we are going to deliver later this month.  When I opened the PS2AC and
PS2DC boxes to check on some mounting details, I noticed that the entire
knockout scheme had changed from the standard Outback drawing.  Of most
immediate concern was that the standard holes for mounting the Mate bracket
on the top right corner of the DC unit were no longer there, but there are
lots of other changes.

I figured it must be that mistaken parts had somehow gotten out.  We called
Outback and our distributor a couple days ago.  Everybody's out at shows,
so we're only dealing with skeleton crews, and as a result, we couldn't get
answers right away.  The first answer was that yes, it's a mistake, you'll
need to send them back.  Today, after beginning to arrange for that, we're
told that no, it's not a mistake, in May of this year Outback started
shipping PS2 enclosures this way, and they're probably now starting to get
into dealer and end customer's hands as the old stock is depleted.

Has anybody else encountered these changes?  Maybe we're too far down the
food chain and I'm making too much of this, but I've got a couple of beefs.

I'm told today by Outback that an updated panel knockout drawing won't be
released for these changes, because the changes are only temporary until
Flexware is formally released and all the old green PS2 hardware is phased
out.  And I'm told that this new knockout pattern isn't Flexware's, pattern
either.  So this means that, I've got a couple of jobs where I'm either
subbing or working on a team of installers, coordinating from distant
locations, and I can't send anyone a  drawing telling the site people
exactly where to plan for conduit entries on either the AC or DC side?  No
fair.  If it's released product, I want a drawing like for everything else.

A heads up if you haven't encountered this as yet - the number and size of
knockouts, and their locations, are different.  Not better or worse, just
different.  If you work with a lot of these systems and think you know
where you're going to be running your PV array conduits and AC output
conduits, think again.  The knockouts are still there (mostly, in basically
the same locations), but they've moved around.  Sure, we can adjust.  And I
guess that what we're hearing is that now you drill your own holes for your
mate mounting bracket, and it won't void the warranty.

A little notification before the fact would have been nice.  Any additional
light that others can shed would be much appreciated, because changes like
this to a stable product line don't seem to make any sense to me.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT
www.re-solar.com