Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Mon Oct 30 16:46:14 PST 2006

Thanks for finishing that sentence Dan.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Rice [mailto:danrice at scinternet.net]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 6:36 PM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: Re: Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Steve et. al.

With all due respect, 312.8 says "Enclosures for switches or overcurrent
devices
shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for
conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent
devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors
shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent
of
the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps
shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent
of
the cross-sectional area of that space."

Splices are specifically allowed under the conditions specified, wire nuts
included.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.

Quoting Steve Lyons <sinepv at hotmail.com>:

> Hi Geoff!
>
> Please see 2002 NEC Art. 312.8 " Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent
> Devices".
> The first sentence says it all " Enclosures for switches or overcurrent
> devices SHALL NOT be used as junction boxes".
>
> During my 30+ years as a journeyman, I have seen breaker panels with wire
> nuts and taped split bolt splices, it is not goog practice or acceptable.
>
> We all should know the NEC requirements as well as we do the solar.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Stephen Lyons
> Sine Electric
> C-10 & General Journeyman Electrician
> 324 Grandview Avenue
> Novato, CA 94945
>
> sinepv at hotmail.com
>
> >From: Geoff Greenfield <Geoff at Third-Sun.Com>
> >To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
> >Subject: Re: Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]
> >Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:23:02 -0500
> >

> >Has anyone ever been hassled about having wire nuts in a load center?  A
> >local inspector we had a pre-job plan review with told us that the load
> >center is not listed as a junction box.  He said we had to pull the romex
> >out and splice extensions to the new sub panel.
> >
> >For a brighter energy future,
> >
> >Geoff Greenfield
> >NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner
> >
> >THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.