legal to do PV work [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Mon Oct 23 10:33:16 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Marco,
It's somewhat the same in Oregon except that we have an RE (not just
PV) license class. An LRT (Limited Renewable Technician) can become
an electrical contractor, pull the permit and install the system (up
to 25KVA) but cannot legally make the final ac connection. In other
words, he/she can put 25 or so KW of PV @500VDC or so on your roof
but can't hook the inverter up to a circuit breaker in your mains
panel. That last part is thanks to the IBEW who threatened to move
heaven and earth to kill the license class unless we accepted that
proviso. Turf wars... pure and simple. The 1:1 ratio is the same
except if there are two apprentices on-site, there has to be a 3:2
ratio. An apprentice also has to be in the apprenticeship program
which includes classroom time and have an apprentice license.
It used to be in California that I could hire any wino off the street
and have him/her work as an electrician under my C-10 license there.
I believe that is now or about to be history as CA is moving toward a
formal apprentice program as well. If true, 'bout time. Perhaps a CA
C-10 or C-46 can chime in here with better data on that.
Aloha, Bob-O

On Oct 21, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Marco Mangelsdorf wrote:

> In order to legally install PV systems in Hawai'i, one has to
> possess a C-13
> license, i.e., be a licensed electrical contractor.  (There's no
> substantive
> PV-only license in the our Aloha State.)  One also has to be a
> licensed
> electrician (either Journeyworker or Supervising), passing a
> separate exam
> administered by the separate Electricians and Plumbers Board.  Due
> to most
> likely the influence of our IBEW friends, there has to be a 1:1
> ratio on any
> electrical job site, including a PV installation, of one licensed
> electrician per apprentice.
>
> How does this jive with the regulatory policies in states on the
> Mainland?
> It seems like in CA., anyone with a C-46 or C-10 can throw a bunch
> of people
> at PV job site with not a journeyworker or supervising electrician
> in site.
> Is this true?
>
> Thanks,
> marco