Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Jay Peltz, Peltz Power jay at asis.com
Sat Oct 21 21:04:49 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Allan,

The heat issue can be done with simple math, ie voltage drop.
So a 10% voltage drop at 120v would be 12v x  30 amps = 360 watts / #
of feet of wire = watts per foot
I think you'll find that this number is pretty small, given the large
wire, low resistance, and short runs.

As to the neutral.  As I understand it,  in a 240v configuration it
only carries
the difference between the two hot legs.  So if the hot legs were
each doing 30 amps,
then the neutral would be doing nothing.  However it only one leg
were doing 30 amps,then the
neutral would be doing 30 amps as well.

Hope this helps,
jay