Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Oct 21 11:44:49 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

A few months ago when I was getting a Outback grid tied system inspected
I asked the inspector this very question... namely, would you have
approved this system even if I had not spliced all the neutrals and
brought them over the the battery backed up load center. He said "sure"
as they are electrically the same. So from now on, I will only splice to
extend the hot wires and leave the neutrals where they are. It makes
much less of a mess (with all the wire nutted extensions) to only move
the hot circuits.

Todd

Allan Sindelar wrote:

>Dan,
>Your reply is clear and informative as usual; thanks. I did a GTWB system
>exactly as Ray described just two weeks ago, so the topic is relevant. The
>inspector had no issue with Ray's approach, asking only if the single
>neutral conductor between the two panels was sized correctly (that is,
>sufficient using #6 AWG for 50A as determined by the breakers on the backup
>systems input and output).
>
>So I agree that simply carrying a neutral conductor in the same nipple
>doesn't provide for canceling eddy currents when the system is in bypass
>mode; that is, when the utility feeds the backed up loads through the IBS or
>a manual transfer switch (which our local utility is currently requiring). I
>would be curious how much heat can be generated by a theoretical 30A
>(continuous) at 120 VAC.
>
>But to me the real question is this: If the common neutral conductor bonds
>the inverter AC input/output and both of the breaker panels, and passes
>through the same nipple, then the common neutral carries current equal to
>the sum of the currents on the branch circuit line conductors, and thus
>cancels out the eddy currents and resultant heating -- doesn't it?
>
>Allan at Pos E

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php