Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 08:03:56 PDT 2006

the currents must be balanced...  If the load and
supply currents pass through the nipple in opsite
directions this is met.  I have ofter run 240 volt
single phase in a conduit without the neutral.
likewise the power from the main panel to the subpanel
should run through the same conduit as the load
conductors.
Darryl

--- Dan Rice <danrice at scinternet.net> wrote:

> Ray,
>
> The issue with passing only the line conductors
> through the conduit nipple
> between panels is induced eddy currents within the
> conduit nipple. The
> changing magnetic field(s) in the conductor(s)
> passing through the conduit
> nipple induces an electric current within the
> surrounding metallic conduit.
> If both line and neutral of the given circuit pass
> through the conduit, then
> the opposite effects of each wire's changing
> magnetic fields cancel one
> another out, and there is no net effect on the
> surrounding conduit. This is
> why all current carrying conductors of a particular
> circuit must remain
> together inside metallic raceways. The problem is,
> the induced eddy currents
> in the surrounding conduit can result in the conduit
> heating up, which I
> believe is due to the conduit material's internal
> resistance to these eddy
> currents, which can be rather high. I am sure that
> there are engineering
> calcs that can be performed to ascertain how
> significant this heating effect
> may be based upon the wire size, AC frequency,
> amperage, conduit size,
> material type, length, phase of the moon and which
> side you part your hair
> on.
>
> I'm not sure how you feel about them, but there are
> new connectors that take
> the place of wire nuts. Similar to "backstab"
> push-in connections to AC
> light switches and receptacles, these connectors are
> small-ish blocks that
> you push the stripped ends of solid conductor wire
> into. I think these
> connectors can be purchased with different numbers
> of holes to accept two to
> several conductors. They may help you to save room
> in the primary load
> center as you splice on extensions. I've not used
> them in place of wire
> nuts, and I never back stab receptacles when wiring
> AC circuits, so I can't
> vouch for this approach, but it may be worth
> considering. It's an
> alternative to crimp butt splices, and these
> connectors are listed for this
> type of purpose anyway...
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Dan Rice