Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 21 05:54:04 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hey Ray,

Won't any effects that do exist from inductive "eddy currents" or
such  cancel because he'll also have a single large neutral conductor
through the nipple too?

AndI thought inductive current problems were only significant with DC.

And If they are stacked inverters (120/240) so that there are
currents of both legs - then those would cancel as well no?

Hope that helps!

Jeff C.

>Ray,
>
>The issue with passing only the line conductors through the conduit nipple
>between panels is induced eddy currents within the conduit nipple. The
>changing magnetic field(s) in the conductor(s) passing through the conduit
>nipple induces an electric current within the surrounding metallic conduit.
>If both line and neutral of the given circuit pass through the conduit, then
>the opposite effects of each wire's changing magnetic fields cancel one
>another out, and there is no net effect on the surrounding conduit. This is
>why all current carrying conductors of a particular circuit must remain
>together inside metallic raceways. The problem is, the induced eddy currents
>in the surrounding conduit can result in the conduit heating up, which I
>believe is due to the conduit material's internal resistance to these eddy
>currents, which can be rather high. I am sure that there are engineering
>calcs that can be performed to ascertain how significant this heating effect
>may be based upon the wire size, AC frequency, amperage, conduit size,
>material type, length, phase of the moon and which side you part your hair
>on.
>
>I'm not sure how you feel about them, but there are new connectors that take
>the place of wire nuts. Similar to "backstab" push-in connections to AC
>light switches and receptacles, these connectors are small-ish blocks that
>you push the stripped ends of solid conductor wire into. I think these
>connectors can be purchased with different numbers of holes to accept two to
>several conductors. They may help you to save room in the primary load
>center as you splice on extensions. I've not used them in place of wire
>nuts, and I never back stab receptacles when wiring AC circuits, so I can't
>vouch for this approach, but it may be worth considering. It's an
>alternative to crimp butt splices, and these connectors are listed for this
>type of purpose anyway...
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>Dan Rice
>Abundant Sun, LLC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd