downsizing main breakers [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 20 18:01:16 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Jeff O,

For the very good reason that many commercial service entrance panels
have the main breaker before the CTs used by the utility for the main
meter.  A supply side tap in this configuration means having to work
with the utility to agree to installing a second meter just to read
the solar input - a prospect I dread way more than downsizing a main.

But  your point is well taken that downsizing a main should only be
done when the load calcs justify it.

Best,

Jeff C.

>Hey Wrenches, why do you have so much resistance to line taps placed
>between the meter and main breaker? This is so easy and cheap and
>takes very little time, although I don't care for them, there are
>even self-piercing taps that you don't even need to break any
>connections for or have a service disconnect to install.
>Personally, I would never down size a main breaker (and thus my
>customers service size) to get around the simple fix above.
>

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Regererative SOLutions
>Jeff Oldham

>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd