Backfeeding a 200 amp panel with an Outback 3648 [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 17:25:38 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Brad,

This is an excellent idea and should be pursued for future code
revisions for 690.  Feeding the bus on the opposite end on commercial
panels is also quite easily achieved as many have a flexible bus
design.  On residential systems John W. has argued that the homeowner
or unknowing electrician could move a breaker mounted at the bottom
of a panel - but bottom fed lugs would eliminate this problem. Very
elegant solution.

Anyone out there willing to champion this idea to the powers that be?
When's the next code revision input period opening up?

Thanks Brad!

Jeff C.

>The other possibility around the bus size issue is to get the code
>rewritten to allow a larger grid intertie at the opposite end of the
>busbar from the feedin main breaker. I believe this makes it impossible
>to overload the bus in most residential panels. This would help in not
>having to oversize AC panels for combining multiple inverter outputs
>also. Or maybe one of the big panel mfg could put in lugs at both ends
>of the bus for feedin and get UL on it for that purpose.
>
>Brad
>

>Allan Sindelar wrote:
>>
>>  If the two functions could somehow be separated, the range of
>>  applications would be increased, as it's only the sell function that is
>>  subject to the 120% bussbar limitation of 690-64(b)(2).
>>

>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd