MX-60 operating voltage limit [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Oct 16 08:55:02 PDT 2006

The MX60 is ETL listed for a maximum PV array open circuit voltage of
150VDC "worse case" - i.e. under the coldest temperatures.  That said,
there is still a reasonable amount of safety margin left in case the
voltage does exceed this 150 vdc limit - I am running a MX60 on my own
system with seven seimens m55 modules in series (a nominal 84vdc PV
array) too simulate a 72vdc PV array in very cold climates - and it has
survived for almost five months now.  We do not recommend doing this
however!

The FETS are rated at 150 vdc but don't fail until about 175 or so.  The
capacitors are 160 vdc rated - but can tolerate maybe 185 or so.  The
real limit is the circuit breakers and GFP right now - we have an
additional ETL listing on them for 150VDC for PV applications
specifically - the UL listing for them is 125VDC.  If we increase the
rating on the MX60 then we need to increase the rating on the circuit
breakers / GFPs as well of course.

The MX60 will go into a self-protect mode at 140 to 142 and will wait to
start up until the open circuit voltage of the PV array drops below this
level.  This happens fairly quickly once real sunlight hits the  PV
array and the cells warm up.  This delay in start-up does not seem to
cause any significant power production loss as the highest open curcuit
voltages seem to be during the early morning when there is indirect /
ambient light only on the PV array.

There are older MX60s which had the ETL approval at 140 or even 135VDC -
maybe this is what the tech was mentioning.  We can upgrade them to the
newer specification if you need it.  There are postings on our OutBack
forum which discuss the serial numbers involved if you want to see all
the details of when and what features were added.

I know of many MX60s used with 72VDC PV arrays in cold climates
(Montana, Colorado, ETC) which have been working for years and
occasionally hit open circuit voltages in the mid 150's - so I would not
be too concerned about the MX60 itself.

The only real issue is what do you tell the inspector who just was
trained on PV array cold temperature multipliers in the NEC...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com