Xantrex 3.0 [RE-wrenches]

Mark Edmunds mark.edmunds at xantrex.com
Fri Oct 13 15:23:56 PDT 2006

Hi Wrenches -

I have looked in to this - we do monitor product RMA and failure data
(by manufacturing run) for the GT's very closely and what we have seen
is a steady improvement in reliability since the first few manufacturing
runs...which admittedly did have some "teething" issues that we have
since resolved.  Xantrex has shipped well over 17,000 GT Series
inverters since product launch in October 2004, and overall product
reliability has been excellent. We worked hard to weed out any product
issues before launch but as with most new products there have been a few
"opportunities for improvement". Through root cause analysis of failures
we have implemented several design changes to provide better
performance, whenever we have seen an issue arising in the field.

With regard to the wiring box...it has changed slightly from the early
GT3.0's.  All new GT Series inverters (GT2.5, GT3.0 with part #
864-0001, GT3.3, and GT3.8) share the same wiring box design...the only
exception is the original GT3.0 design (part# 864-0001).  To date we
haven't had enough failures to build up exchange refurbs, so this is why
you got a new GT3.0 in exchange for the 864-0001 version of the GT3.0.
Sorry for the inconvenience with this.

The "No AC Present" message can come up for many types of different
failures, as anything happening to the inverter bridge will usually take
out the internal fuse...so the inverter sees AC as no longer present.
(which is good!)

Anyway, there is no such thing as a perfect product so we have tried to
make our service program simple to use, with quick swap units and an
installer service fee available to compensate for time. We are trying to
constantly improve the products, and appreciate all feedback.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Edmunds
Xantrex Technology Inc.