Ginormous battery rack [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison ellison at gisco.net
Sat Sep 30 03:31:54 PDT 2006

Andrew,
No matter how you build it, ventilation will be needed. That many batteries
will produce a ton of gas and heat when charging.
For easy access I would put them on the floor, maybe 3 deep on the bottom
along the walls. Whatever configuration works and leaves you with room to
walk in to service them. Normal shelf type racks present a lot of problems
like having room to service the cells without shorting something, seeing the
water level and getting the water added and plain old weight. Get terminal
covers for all the terminals, any industrial battery supplier would have
something that would work.
In that size room you probably will have to have 2 levels to get them all in
there, but anymore than about 2 deep and seeing the electrolyte level will
be a problem on the top row. I would add several fuses in this battery bank
so if / when something goes wrong you aren't dumping all the batteries into
the short. All of my battery wrenches are rubber coated for a reason!
Are the electronics going to be in this gas chamber? Please tell me they are
on the wall outside the chamber! Also make sure the cables are in conduit
that goes from the floor in the battery room up to the inverter, that way
you are not pulling gasses from the room into the inverter, battery gases
and inverter relays are not a good mix!

Just my usual random thoughts,
Bob