Ginormous battery rack [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Sep 29 17:32:51 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

For a battery bank like that, we seal off and ventilate the entire room
as a battery room. The door is locked and signed with the usual
warnings: authorized personnel only, high voltage, danger, corrosive
agents, poisonous gases present, serpents, etc. The only person going in
there is somebody who will be watering the batteries. There is no need
IMHO to further protect the batteries after the locked door, since the
maintenance person will be removing all the covers anyway to water the
batteries and clean terminals. Nothing else and no else should be
allowed in there. It's a giant battery box. (you could wall off a
portion of the basement, if some of the space was to be used for other
things.
 I definitely agree that a battery watering system is a good idea.
You'll want a big reservoir, probably a 55 gal drum for that many
batteries. ( I have some big systems that use 30 to 50 gal/ year)
 I'm not sure I understand the racking idea, I like to keep the
batteries on the floor. Is it to reduce the floor space used? Even the
commercial battery racking I've seen made from epoxy coated Unistrut
posed both a corrosion problem and a potential for shorting tools from
the rack to terminals.
Also, in a basement, you're definitely going to want a powered
ventilation system. Big battery banks make amazing amounts of Hydrogen
Sulfide gas when charging.

Ray Walters

 David Brearley wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>It seems to me that the challenge of a battery "rack" with Flooded Lead Acid
>batteries is having access for servicing the batteries.  Taking voltage
>readings isn't a big deal, but watering the batteries certainly could be.
>Presumably a battery watering system would allow for relatively lower
>clearance between shelves.  If you want to rack Surrettes vertically, I
>would spend the money up front on a watering system.  Otherwise, you may
>wish you had later.
>
>These batteries will be difficult to lift into place--the 2V batteries are
>more than 200 pounds--but presumably they won't have to be moved much or
>often.
>
>It is hard to beat industrial, sealed batteries for stackability and
>rackability.  I have wondered if the density with which some of these sealed
>batteries are racked and stacked doesn't make up for the lower energy
>density of the technology.  It is too bad these systems cost twice as much.
>
>We have often added Plexiglas and like material as a "cover" to battery
>racks that we come across on service calls.  It makes me nervous to have
>exposed terminals every 12 inches across an entire wall of a room.  The
>"cover" can typically be removed with 4 - 8 screws whenever the batteries
>need to be tested or serviced.
>
>David Brearley
>NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)
>
>Meridian Energy Systems
>2300 S. Lamar, Suite 107
>Austin, TX 78704
>512-448-0055 (ph)