Solectria Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Sep 20 06:16:28 PDT 2006

I put in an 1,800 watt Solectria unit with integrated panel in May 2006.
No failures & good inverter performance so far. Here are the warts I
found:
The built in kWh meter tracks power slightly differently from the
revenue grade kWh meter on the panel. I suspect this happens with other
brands, as well.
The glass kWh meter was wired up backwards from the factory. Solectria
caught this about the same time as I did. James called to explain and
offered a small discount on my next purchase as compensation.
The built in LCD meter is unreadable when the inverter is installed
outdoors--even in the shade the backlight isn't bright enough. Close
shading with the hand is necessary to read the meter. I discussed this
with James, but there's no easy fix. SolRen wanted to use a low power
backlight for energy efficiency reasons, but may revisit the issue and
switch to a brighter backlight someday.

Mick Abraham

Mike Kocsmiersky wrote:

> I really like the unit, and have used about 8 of the 2500W or 1800W
> units.
> The LCD display is very readable and intuitive to scroll about.
> Nice rugged frame, and you never have to or are permitted to open the
> unit
> up. (It comes with wire pigtails).
> It also comes premounted on a nice backpanel if you so desire.
> I have not had one fail, but I did have one with a ground fault problem
> (inverter glitch) right out of the box.  Solectria sent me one the next
> day
> no hassles and great service.
>
> The draw backs are that it has a limited DC input range, and it is not
> so
> accommodating to random module configurations.
> There is a tiny software glitch that will not allow you to set the time
> 12:xx something PM.  (Must set the clock at any other time, it goes from
> 11AM to 12AM to 1PM and from 11PM to 12AM to 1AM.  So just don't set the
> clock during noon to 1PM)
> Hope this helps.
>

> Mike Kocsmiersky
> President