Battery strings [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Mon Sep 18 11:16:32 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

One thing to consider with paralleling the individual cells/batteries inside the string is the increased difficulty of isolating a string for maintenance or testing.  We connect individual strings (typically of large AGM telecom cells) through pullout fuses to a central busbar system on which all the load fuses also terminate.  *Every* connection to the central busbar is through a fuse or breaker, allowing for isolation when needed.

--On Monday, September 18, 2006 4:17 AM -0700 Darryl Thayer <daryl_solar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all
> It seems that all of these configurations get into
> trouble over time.  Reverse return is clearly better
> than just paralleling.  I have a two parrellel set
> that is OK todate, (3 years old, lead calcium flooded,
> 6 volt batteries, 48 volt string) it uses parralled
> batteries between the two strings.  I hope it reduces
> the chances of battery fires or problems if one cell
> goes bad.  Next time I am at the site I will force a
> charge or discharge and check if there is any current
> in the paralleling connections.
>
> The differences between sets of paralleled batteries
> can develope by slight temperature differences between
> the batteries.  And if a set gets warmer it will
> accept more power and get warmer. Sources of this
> tempature difference are suttle, and can be do to just
> ramdom nature.
>
> Darryl
> --- Bob Ellison <ellison at gisco.net> wrote:
>

>> Todd,
>> I have thought about that but I am afraid if a high
>> resistance connection
>> developed in a couple strings it might just cause
>> the power to run in a zig
>> zag pattern through the battery following the lowest
>> resistance path.
>>
>> The best cure is still a single string, but unusable
>> in this case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

.