Standing Seam S5s vs. Penetrations [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Sep 11 20:04:42 PDT 2006

Jeff:

We did a 5 kW dual inverter grid-tie system 3 years ago using the S5 clamps on a very large "horse barn" now being used to park and do maintenance on multiple farm tractors on a private estate.  The reason we were willing to take the risk is the standing seam roof was an older style that used very heavy gauge galvanized metal, not the thinner, more flimsy roofing being installed today.  We clamped on the standing seams that were "folded" over where there was a very large number of attachment nails that had been installed before the crimp was made which covered the nails.

Although the roofing was heavy boards running E-W (not plywood), we did note the rafters these boards were nailed to were "laying" on the end E-W wall with only a few nails, and relied on the roof weight to hold it down and together.   We required that metal "ties" be installed at each rafter which anchored the roof assembly to the vertical walls (like hurricane straps).  We also found that several of the rafters had missing bracing that may have been removed over the years to make attic access easier.  We had this bracing re-installed before installing the modules.

If this had not been a very-heavy roof construction, I do not think I would have taken on this project.  For those of you considering this type project and maybe involving a structural engineer, please keep in mind its more likely the limiting factor is how many nails and their size that were used to anchor the standing seam roofing to the roof assembly and that may very hard to determine.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -