Cu to Al Splicing [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Sep 6 05:21:58 PDT 2006

Hi, Wrenchies~

I'm a newcomer to the list and have mainly been lurking so far. In reply
to Jeff's question below:

Consider using the ILSCO #CPM-3/0 "wire connector adapter" on the
aluminum. See this @ ilsco.com This is a Noalox filled connector that
crimps onto the cable much as with a battery lug, but the other end of
the connector is a short bit of stranded tinned copper wire about the
same size as #2 THHN. The connector comes with a plastic slip on
insulation jacket but I suggest you instead use a big sleeve of glue
filled heat shrink to seal the crimped connection. That would handle
your aluminum degradation worries very completely, and it effectively
"converts" your 3/0 aluminum into smaller gauge copper.

Once you have "necked down" the aluminum to a size & material almost
identical to your #2 copper cable, the Polaris type connector suggested
by others would be smaller in size & less costly...or use a split bolt.
Adapting the aluminum down in size and across into copper via the
sealed/crimped connection makes the rest easy.

The ILSCO part mentioned above is 10 per box and may be hard to get in
smaller quantity. Price it out at your local electrical supply house.
You could then contact me off list if you only need one or two, as I
have a partial box on hand.

Sorry if my name appears twice, but this is my first post to the list. I
hope this will be helpful. Mick Abraham

Jeff Clearwater wrote:

> Wrenches and Other assorted Hand Tools,
>
> (So would that make Matt a Tourque wrench? : )
>
> I need to splice 2 AWG Cu to 3/0 Al - potentially in an underground
> pull box or outside above ground J-Box.  Can I hear folks preferred
> methods?  A Cu/AL rated butt connector smeared with NoAlox and sealed
> with 3M Mastic or Rubber Tape and then 88 tape would be my
> inclination.  But 8 miles up a dirt road - 10 years from now I would
> rather not have a callback!
>
> Those wrenches with more tourque - or at least more experience -
> please enlighten me!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff C.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jeff Clearwater
> Village Power Design
> Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
> http://www.villagepower.com
> gosolar at villagepower.com
> NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
>
> 530-470-9166
> 877-SOLARVillage
> 877-765-2784
> 72 Baker Rd.