Aluminum vs Copper? [RE-wrenches]

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Sun Sep 3 23:55:43 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Thanks Hugh, Jeff, Chris and others for leading me down this path. If I
am understanding this correctly Hugh, and don't get too worried about
greater than 5% line losses at max output, and use aluminum with proper
precautions, then I can, say, use a 2/0 aluminum cable with a line loss
of about 8% (based on the derated 40 amps instead of 52) or a #2
copper, and not be too concerned? And if economics demanded I could
even go to a higher line loss bearing in mind that: "As loss increases,
the situation becomes much more complex, since more than 2 wires will
start to conduct at once during the changeover." as you state in your
answer to Paul Gipe on http://www.scoraigwind.com/CABLE/index.htm?
Honestly I don't pretend to know what that really means but if I can
get away with 8-10% without seriously compromising charging potential
then the wire cost savings will very pleasant.

2500 watt turbine - 48v - 300' wire run - 3 phase

Ron Young

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com