Aluminum vs Copper? [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 14:59:50 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

>Hi Ron,
>
>Basic 3-phase formula:  P/V/1.73=I
>
>Or Power divided by Voltage divided my 1.73 = Amperage per leg
>(1.73 is the square root of 3).

This formula is true when we are talking about a star connected
supply with 48 volts on each phase relative to neutral.  If we are
talking about rms current in a wire feeding a rectifier with 48 volt
DC output then the answer is very different.  Rather than 1/1.73
(=0.58) it is closer to 0.8.  The volt drop is therefore larger than
a lot of people would assume.  rms current in each of the 3 wires is
about 0.8 (sq root of 2/3) times the DC current after the rectifier.
2500/48 is 52 amps so I would reckon about 40 amps rms per wire.  And
you lose power in all three wires.

There is some vagueness about the exact current factor because it
does depend on source impedance and waveform, but the variation in
the answer is not big.  Anyone interested in the nitty gritty, check
out http://www.scoraigwind.com/CABLE/index.htm

Since most energy is delivered at less than 2500 watts it is not
necessary to get in a big panic about losses over 5%.  In high wind,
the wind turbine alternator will very likely deliver much the same
current anyway and become more efficient in the process so the loss
is less than you would assume.  (I guess the same reasoning applies
to PV in a lot of cases.)

Isn't copper getting expensive?
--
Hugh