Welcome NABCEP members [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Aug 28 18:09:51 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi All;

Allan might be reffering to me. I proudly promote NABCEP certification,
both locally and on my website. The general reaction is "Huh? what's
that stand for?" It's so much work to explain, it's almost not worth it.
(kind of like explaining "search mode" now a days)
I'm studying to take my state electrcian's license exam. Guess what
wrenches, anyone can pass the exam! The offical review course contains
all the actual test questions and answers. Any idiot that can get
someone to sign for his experience can become a licensed electrician.
After spending almost a decade cleaning up licensed electricians' boo
boos, I had suspected as much. Unfortunately, here in New Mexico the bar
is low indeed for qualifications to install PV. Even if the testing
system here were legitimate, there still are no questions on PV on the exam.
As far as NABCEP recertification goes, flying to California is not in
the budget. Either NABCEP needs to figure this out, or I'm going to lose
my certification in a few months. Too much money for currently low, no
benefit. I'm working hard out here already to promote NABCEP for free,
and then make me pay to go to California? That could be a month's
earnings. Its just too much for us poor, hard working installers on the
front lines.

Ray Walters

Allan Sindelar wrote:

>Joel,
>Here in New Mexico, I have had two installers tell me that being certified
>has not brought value to them because the public has no consciousness of the
>value of certification. So we haven't reached even close to the point that
>you apparently fear. Even I see certification as something where we have to
>educate each customer as to its value. Nothing was written into our new
>state incentives to offer any benefits to certified installers.
>
>I am not aware that NABCEP has put any restrictions on its audience, other
>than those specifically relevant to ensuring the knowledge and field
>experience necessary to qualify for the exam. If eligibility requirements
>are reduced, certification loses its value. What is the "wider audience" to
>which you refer? What specifically would you change? How might NABCEP
>prevent other entities from including NABCEP certification in their
>incentive programs? And have you seen specific examples of problems this has
>caused?
>
>Allan

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com