dedicated AC disconnects [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Aug 23 21:52:14 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Andrew:

We have installed in PG&E and So. Cal. Edison areas and the former requires
dedicated disconnects and the latter does not.  This indicates the
arbitrary nature of the requirement.  My anecdotal understanding of the
requirement is that it is a throwback to the times when a homeowner would
boot leg in a generator and backfeed secondary, energize local, "islanded"
primary and risk electrocuting line workers.

I have been told that line workers would be the ones to actuate such a
disconnect. I have pulled over several times when I have seen line workers
working in a neighborhood in which we have installed a system six or more
months ago (including my own neighborhood) and asked if they knew of the
existence of local generating facilities and disconnects in the immediate
neighborhood.  In all cases, the workers had no knowledge of any of the
systems or disconnecting means that were installed to protect them.

Some three or four years ago I brought this discrepancy up in a public
meeting with PG&E.  I was told that the local generating (E-net) systems
would be put on line maps.  I have a good buddy who works as a trouble
shooter with PG&E and I have kept tabs with him.  No e-net facility has
ever been noted on any San Luis Obispo county line maps.

We have asked PG&E to discontinue the often times onerous requirement to
install a dedicated disconnect, but they always proclaim loudly that this
is a safety issue for which no discussion is allowed.

Go figure.

William Miller

At 07:32 PM 8/23/2006, you wrote:

>When I installed in California UL listed AC disconnects were mandatory
>within 9' of the main meter.  Now I'm installing in DC and no such
>regulation exists.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php