SIPs [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 05:41:49 PDT 2006

Daryl
I installed on such a roof about 10 years ago.

The SIP panel was 8 feet wide 20+ feet long, with a
2x10 on the edge to allow connection of the panels.
The total roof was 40 feet wide and 20+ feet long at a
5 or 6/12 pitch.  (the inside foam was then 9.25
thick.  The skins were 1/2 " OSB sheathing (wafer
board).

I attached horizontally at the peak and down the roof
at module length 2 ea 2x4s (the 2x4s lap by at least
one panel) by glue and screw particularly connecting
to the 2x10s and of course the skin panel.  ( believe
the top also had a 2x10 at panel edge).  Then overlaid
OSB to form an new roof with roofing and flashed down
to the existing roof on the lower edge.

Overkill perhaps, but it looks good and gives me
structure to attach to.  (a product like "sun track"
one stand offs or As I used Aluminum angle.

Darryl

> At 01:16 PM 8/17/2006, you wrote:
>

> >Hi all,
> >    I am working on an estimate to install a +/- 4
> kw array on a stress
> >skin type panel roof. It is composed of 1/2"
> Avantek sandwiching 9" of
> >foam insulation. It is already roofed.
> >    My thought was to manufacture some 4" wide
> steel stock for both the top
> >and underside of the roof. I would use use
> stainless steel or
> >galvanized threaded rod to penetrate the
> standoffs/feet, top steel
> >plate, through the Avantek and foam through to the
> other side,
> >penetrating the Avantek and steel plate on the
> inside (storage space
> >above the garage). I would use 1/2 threaded rod.
> >    Does anyone have experience with this? Should I
> walk away from the job
> >for liability reasons?
> >Thanks for any comments,
> >Daryl