Outback VFX with GFCI, AFCI, & 3 way switches [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 22:52:24 PDT 2006

Hi Kelly
do not use any multiwire circuits.

The GFCI should not cause a problem in search mode.
The GFCI measures a current difference between the hot
and neutral conductor.  If properly installed no
problem when the VFX is in search mode.  I have
several systems with VFX and GFCIs. ( be sure to get
the GFCI without a pilot light).

The AFCI also should not cause a problem in search
mode.  The AFCI looks for short duration high current
pulses.  The pulse for search is not high current. The
only time a current would flow on search pulse is if
there is a load and the load needs to be served.  As I
understand the AFCI needs a 70 amp surge pulse to
trip.  However I do not have a AFCI on a VFX ,  If I
get a chance I will try this experiment. (also I have
been an electrician for 45 years and I have never seen
and AF on 120 volts.  I have seen it on 277 volts and
above.

The three way problem I have never seen.  sounds like
another problem lurks here.

Ghost loads are a real problem, such as in
electronics, and I have had problems with
refrigerators, and things which need to know what time
it is.  So the homeowner success depends upon
selection of home appliances, electronics, and other
equipment.

Darryl

No such

--- Kelly Larson <solarwrench at asis.com> wrote:

> Hello wrenches,
>
> I am wiring a new off-grid house and wonder about
> search mode and
> GFCI/AFCI receptacles and breakers.  The customer is
> old school and
> wants the minimum energy use possible.  (Can you
> believe there are still
> customers like that out there?)
>
> Has anyone run standard NEC wired house with
> GFCI/AFCI receptacles and
> breakers and gotten the VFX into the search mode?
> Any ideas how much
> these receptacles and breakers use?  Different
> wiring approaches for
> minimum electricity use?
>
> Also...
>       I had problems with a AFCI circuit that had 3
> way switches on it
> powered by a VFX.  After searching for a fault, I
> realized neither of
> the 3 way switched lights, (there were two in the
> room), worked when
> either was connected, (and the other disconnected).
> (They just popped
> the AFCI breaker.)  Is there anything about the VFX
> that would cause
> this?
>
> Thank you in advance for your input,
> Kelly Larson
>
> Kelly Larson <Solarwrench at asis.com>
> Electrical Contractor and Engineer, Renewable Energy
> Systems
> CA License # 868189
>

> - - - -
>
> Archive of previous messages: