Grid Tie in 3 phases of construction [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 22:06:57 PDT 2006

Hi Jeremy
It is late so my thoughts are not complete, but my
first thought would be to use a 3+ kW inverter and
plan to have 3 arrays of 1 kW each in parallel.  This
means you need to select modules with voltages to meet
the inverter's voltage requirement from a single 1kW
string.  You also need a combiner box that can handle
3 high voltage circuits with fusing for each circuit.

The caution here is each string must be fused at less
than or equal to the Max series fuse size for the
modules.  If the modules can handle a 15 amp fuse then
a 600 Volt 3phase, 30 amp disconnect with 15 amp fuses
could be your combiner box.

Darryl

--- Jeremy Rodriguez <allsolar at ris.net> wrote:

> Grid Tie Wrenches,
> I have a client interested in a grid connected
> system (no batteries)
> with the capability of expanding in three phases. Is
> there a
> configuration that will work using a single inverter
> and installing
> three seperate arrays 1kw each, at three different
> times. The goal is a
> 3kw array with one inverter. I can see it happening
> with a battery based
> inverter, correct.
>
> New to this grid tie market!
> Jeremy