Post Main Point of Connection [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 15:34:13 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi William,

When you say "we are not allowed the 20% bus over rating allowed on a
residence.  Therefore, we must connect prior to the service
disconnecting means"  - are you sure that the bus on the main panel
is not either rated at higher than the main breaker or perhaps
replaceable?    It's not often the case but it's an assumption worth
checking out!

On  800 and 1200 amp boxes the main busses are sometimes rated higher
than the main breaker (and sometimes on smaller panels for that
matter)  .  On one job where we installed the  1200 Amp service
equipment we were able to order special overrated busses - rated
higher than the main breaker rating thus accomodating our solar
breakers.

Or the other easy out is to see if you can downsize the size of the
main breaker.  If the panel is not approaching it's load limit, you
may be able to rerun the calcs and show the inspector that a smaller
main would still work - thereby giving yourself the room you need.
30 KW is about 125 Amps at 240 or 150 Amps at 208. So you'ld have to
downsize the main that much - sometimes doable on 800 Amp or 1200 Amp
services.

Again these are somewhat long shots -but sometimes worth a little research.

Hope that helps!

Best

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Colleagues:
>
>We are installing a 30 KW system in California.  Being a commercial
>property, we are not allowed the 20% bus over rating allowed on a
>residence.  Therefore, we must connect prior to the service
>disconnecting means as allowed in NEC 690.64(A).
>
>The utility (PG&E) is allowing this but has disallowed us from
>connecting in the same cabinet as the metering current transformers.
>The next cabinet downstream is the service disconnect.  The switch
>has arc chutes in this section of the cabinet occupy the entire
>cabinet, not giving us room to attach to the bus bars.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this scenario?  IF so, how have you dealt with it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>William Miller

>William Miller
>Miller Power and Communications
>Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
>email: wrmiller at mpandc.com
>http://mpandc.com
>License No. C-10-773985
>Check out our latest project at
>http://mpandc.com/case_studies/pv_school/pv_school.html
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
72 Baker Rd.