LADWP [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 31 14:13:13 PDT 2006

${top_text_ad}
Hello William,

The rebate is generous. If the program happens as planned, there is $17 million annual funding. Using LADWP's example systems, the 32 BP 115 watt residential system shows a payout of $13.95k and small commercial example shows a payout of $23k for a 100 Mitsubishi 170 watts system. If rebates are half residential and half commercial ($36.95 for 20.68 kW), then is 460 rebates for 9.5 MW for a total of 1,380 solar roofs by the end of 2010. Only about 98,000 more to go to reach their 2010 goal of 100,000 solar roofs.

LADWP’s On-Again / Off-Again Commitment to Solar Power is a joke. Here is a brief history.

August 1980 The Los Angeles Solar Energy Book highlighted The Rebirth of Solar Energy in Los Angeles, but nothing happened.

July 1981 The Energy/LA Action Plan recommended that DWP should pay the highest justifiable cost for surplus power generated by its customers who invest in solar electric
systems. Never implemented.

In the 1980s, LADWP built and opened to the public the Solar Optimum Energy House, an energy efficient solar demonstration home across the street from the Convention Center. Plans were made to turn the home into a solar powered childcare center. Instead the solar panels and appliances were stripped from the house. The house was abandoned to vandals and eventually bulldozed to become a parking lot.

October 1997 LADWP made a new commitment to solar power with a letter to the Department of Energy to install 100,000 rooftop photovoltaic systems by the year 2010.

May 2001 the Washington Post reported that "It's Still Dawn for Solar Power in LA" and that even though the City announced its intent to become the Solar Capital of the World, after 1 year only 40 systems were installed. 6 of those systems were done during the installation training I gave to LADWP technicians.

February 2003 LA Times reported "LADWP’s Green Power Campaign wilts." The City and LADWP’s On-Again / Off-Again commitment to solar power wastes money, causes loss of jobs to other regions and only delays the inevitable shift we must make to cleaner renewable energy.

July 29, 2006, Doug Korthof [doug at seal-beach.org] (any relation?) posted at ladwp at yahoogroups.com

Electric utilities are based on the idea of controlling the power.

Utilities promise that if they are given control, they will not
abuse it, and will not fail. They hate the idea of allowing people
to put in solar systems, because those folks drop off their billing
system, and attain independence.

But rooftop solar systems ("PV") make the grid more robust, and also
can help in disaster recovery. By suppressing solar rooftop PV
systems, utilities and government are failing their promises.

There are two types of PV systems, both of which help the grid:

1. Grid-tie PV systems, which generate electric power during the
day and which power several homes in the neighborhood. Grid-tie PV
stop contributing to the grid during blackouts, but they help avoid
strain on generating and especially local distribution facilities.
Grid-tie system are simple and should be on every block, but
volunteer patriot homeowners are discouraged by utilities and
government bureaucrats.

2. Battery-backup PV systems generate electric that is stored in
batteries; when the batteries are full, these systems also
contribute to the grid, and help the grid remain robust just as grid-
tie systems. But in addition, if the grid goes down in a blackout
or diaster, the inverter detects grid failure, and automatically
cuts out the grid; but the inverter then directs the battery power
to the circuits that were chosen to be backed up. In the case of
disasters, these homes retain emergency power and can last until the
next day, when the sun comes up and recharges the batteries, or
until the emergency is over.

Why are there no provisions to help volunteer patriots put in such
systems? Current rebates and tax breaks are inadequate, and the
bureaucrats in utilities and in government regard these solar
volunteers as freeloaders, making it very difficult to install solar.

Indeed, L.A. Department of Water and Power regards the customer who
wants to put in solar as a potential thief, forcing this patriot to
prove that the system will perform to predicted results, and forcing
extensive, unnecessary paperwork that stultifies and defeats the
process.

For the past three (3) years, LADWP has not even taken one more
solar system rebate request, and has fought tooth and nail against
solar PV power. Instead of leveraging the small resources allocated
to Citizen Ratepayer systems, LADWP spends the majority of their
resources on systems that they pay for completely, installed by
their own personnel, and without quality control.

These bureaucrats must be made to realize that the Citizen is
putting up the great majority of the money, and is volunteering the
roof of their home; instead of fighting with and degrading these
public-spirited Citizens, the bureaucrats should be disciplined to
facilitate the process.