LADWP [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Jul 31 10:32:42 PDT 2006

I believe the LADWP incentive works out to about $5 per Watt, which seems
like a generous contribution to me.  I hope the performance based incentive
works smoothly, but I have a feeling it will likely be cumbersome at first.
As one who pays into the incentive pool it makes me feel happy when these
monies are doled out as effectively as possible.  It has bothered me for
some time that homeowners who decide to place an array facing east or west,
typically for aesthetic reasons, would get the same rebate as a more
effective south facing array, especially when their roof offers these
options.  I'm glad to see consumers faced with a choice of either a higher
rebate for a higher performing system, or a lower rebate due to a less than
optimal installation, now it's their choice.

With a population the size of L.A.'s the annual $15 million in funding will
likely become oversubscribed in less than 12 months.  I was surprised to see
this topic posted here, remember when the CEC program stopped a few years
ago, and suddenly hundreds of contractors redirected their activities into
the LA market, resulting in a rapid oversubscription of our local program.
I have a feeling the administration transition in 07, from the CEC to the
PUC, will result in a hiccup, and eyes will refocus on L.A.

I also have a long list of local property owners who want PV, and it would
be nice to finally be able to tell them that "now is the time to invest", as
opposed to my typical advice to "wait until the rebate program is fully
functional".  For the past few years my focus has been on installing solar
pool heating panels, and life has been good, very good.  My wife thinks I
would be crazy to immerse myself back into the stressful and uncertain
business climate that bureaucratic subsidy programs provide.  I don't see it
as putting my business on welfare, instead helping those who want to self
generate solar power in a city where electric rates are relatively
inexpensive, in effect making this little slice of the world a better place.

I think an unusual political dichotomy exists in L.A., the fact that one of
the largest sources of money flowing into the city's general budget comes
from LADWP, and if everyone installed PV, the city would be bankrupt.  I've
heard statements to this effect mention by local politicos, who reason that
PV really needs to remain a "boutique" industry locally, otherwise a domino
effect will take place, and DWP will need to raise prices to offset lost
sales, resulting in easier sales of PV, and then what?  Tax solar power to
keep the grid connected?  The part that personally amazes me is how these
typically short sighted politicos jump ahead a few decades to make today's
decisions.  I have a feeling in reality it boils down to one thing, who is
sending them the most generous campaign contributions, and it's hardly
likely it's coming from the solar industry.  Money talks louder than sound
reasoning, doesn't that suck...

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

- - - -