WEEB grounding [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Fri Jul 28 07:58:21 PDT 2006

William,

Without a lot of time to go into details, manufacturer's directions are just
that--directions. Although UL may review the directions, it turns out they
do not normally use the hardware provided by the manufacturer to test the
module grounding. They do use the grounding point, but there is nothing to
say that another bonding method could not be equally good or superior.

The only problem you can run into with a manufacturer is if you drill new
holes for grounding. BP allows this in their modules provided it is in
specific locations that do not compromise the structural integrity of their
module frame. Most module manufacturers are silent on the issue (for far too
long). A few manufacturers have recently supplied predrilled grounding holes
on the module ends.

As it pertains to WEEB, the code accepts any listed grounding and bonding
method that is not specifically prohibited by the listing of the product, so
I can't see any way that WEEB could be a violation of the code. This is
essentially what local jurisdictions have been asking for when it comes to
grounding and bonding of PV module frames.

On a side note, only a few manufacturers have anything about using lay-in
lugs on frames for grounding. A lay-in lug should be attached with a
stainless nut, bolt, and star washers on at least one side, and probably
both for contact area, in order to be installed properly. This is often not
done.

Bill.