Photocomm PV module repair? [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Tue Jul 25 14:51:13 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Andy,

Failed modules I have encountered usually do so at the interconnections
between the cells. It can be tough to fix that. You could cut the
backing at the problem, solder the break and silicone the penetration,
but it might not last long. Finding the location could be difficult too.
The old Solarex MSX60's usually produced a brown spot in these locations
from the increased resistance heating.

Todd

Andy Cochrane wrote:

>Hi Wrenches,
>
>We have a client with 6 old PhotoComm 50 W modules sold to him w/o
>warranty.  We upgraded his power system to an Outback and a new battery
>bank, but now his modules are failing (1 of 6 now working.)
>Unfortunately he spent his budget on the Outback system and batteries
>and can't afford more modules at the moment.  Any resources for him in
>his search to find a technique to attempt a repair?
>
>Cheers,
>

>Andy Cochrane
>
>Power Trip Energy Corp
>
>2343 Thomas St