Generacs for off-grid [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 13:12:28 PDT 2006

In a message dated 7/5/2006 12:00:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,  ipl at sover.net
writes:

do not  have experience with Generac generators. My question is how do they
compare  with a Kohler 8.5kw standby LP model more money at  $3,195.

Dave,
  My experience with the Generac Guardian generators has been mostly
negative.  Engines blowing at 200 hours with meticulous maintenance.   Starters
failures. Circuit breakers tripping.  They really don't perform to  their published
specs.  We have hooked up quite a few of them and usually  they are
eventually replaced with a Kohler except for one where he decided a  bigger generac
with a 4 cylinder Ford engine might survive.  So far, it  has.... one season.

John  Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar & Wind, Inc.
104 River  Street
Rutland, VT 05701