ground rod question [RE-wrenches]

Peter Duchon info at asappower.com
Mon May 29 11:27:39 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hi Windy,
Yep, a post-driver or whatever...that's what we tried first but with the
large opening and the relatively thin rod we met rock and we just bent the
hell out of the top foot or two of the rod receiving the numerous blows from
all of us taking turns...and so it just stopped going in further and got
more and more bent at the top.  Perhaps we could customize a post-driver and
put similar lengths of galvi pipe (that would reduce the opening so the rod
would just slip into it) in the driver body to keep the driving force on the
rod squarely straight down instead of at an angle to the vertical?   Just
one ill-placed hit and it starts to bend.

Oh yeah, have seen the tip of a ground rod return to us just as we were
finishing the driving on the other side of small sidewalk.  Just such a nice
radius U-turn a copper rod can make!  If it meets the right rock about two
to three feet in, and yep, you may see the tip come back right to ya!

Might try the roto-hammer method suggested by Todd first.

Thanks,
Peter