Mysterious Surrette Behavior [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Thu May 25 15:20:32 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hi Phil & All;

So why would engineers at Surrette tell other wrenches we need a C5
rate? Is it just old school battery guys that don't understand the
special needs of solar? (I suppose the PC term for us would be "charge
rate challenged") When a company posts cycle life info, it should
include some info on the test procedures (ie. reccomended charge rates,
charge voltages, etc.) I've made a pretty compelling argument for Rolls
vs Golf cart batteries or L16s on my website. I based my conclusions on
their cycle life data, cost, and actual experience. I don't want to turn
out to be a liar. So the bottom line is this: does max. charge rate
affect cycle life or not?

GCs vs Rolls:
I agree with Surrette that a single string would be more efficient. I
also know that lower charge rates are more efficient. (heavy gassing and
heating are clear symptoms that not all the PV power is being converted
to stored energy) But efficiency is not everything, and if lower charge
rates translate to lower cycle life, I need to factor that in to my
designs. Also, Why print a 100 hr discharge rate (about 4 days) which
seems to be the most appropriate for designing 5 to 6 days of storage,
if we should be using  the 20 hr rate? I always wondered how Rolls' 100
hr rate was so much better than other batteries. (Rolls' 100 hr rate is
around 40% more than their 20 hr rate, while other batteries increase
only by around 10%)

As for warranty and shipping, I deal with problem products all the time;
I've been in the solar business for a while. My beef is that most other
manufacturers I deal with, pay shipping to my shop. I've considered
doing a critique of various Manus' customer service: "The Good, The Bad,
and The Ugly". Many of the manufacturers will go beyond the letter of
their warranty to take care of a problem; especially when that problem
is right out of the box. As soon as they start reading me the fine
print, I quit wanting to promote their product:
end of story.

Ray Walters

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com