Mysterious Surrette Behavior [RE-wrenches]

bbassett at rockisland.com bbassett at rockisland.com
Fri May 12 14:19:28 PDT 2006

The Absolyte IIP batteries tend to last better in deep cycle
applications than most sealed telecom batteries. Lifetime I've heard or
seen has been 7 to 12 years depending on service. I had my own bank and
can attest to the fact that they are still based on Pb acid and will
sulphate just as fast and with the same results as any other Pb acid
battery. So, if you don't get them fully charged fairly often they go
downhill pretty fast. I managed to destroy mine in one winter by trying
for seasonal storage. I had 10% capacity by the next spring and positive
plates that had grown so much the cases were cracking. They are also not
really practically resistant to being frozen like they say. If you thaw
them without any charging, maybe. But in the field it will usually be
under charge after being frozen and they're pretty much toast if you do
that. As for charge rate, I think that Ca alloy grid batteries in
general are a bit more accepting of lower charge rates, but am not sure
to what extent.

Concorde 2 volt batteries, unless there has been a big change since I
looked into it, use the same plates as their standard batteries. Good
plates for what they are, but certainly not in the same league as
industrial batteries. The theory is that you can have fewer parallel
connections, which is good.

Brad Bassett
AEE Solar

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> --On Friday, May 12, 2006 12:25 PM -0500 "Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar"
> <ozsolar at ipa.net> wrote:
> >
> > What about the Absoltye IIP?  Any experience with them?  I'm putting
> > together two jobs right now that are going to need a "serious" battery
> > and regular maintenance could be an issue.
>
> Great battery for float service, but I don't think they will stand up
> very long in true deep cycle use.
>
> I have heard good things about the 2V Concorde cells from a couple of
> people.
>

> .

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com