Auto gen start [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri May 12 17:29:15 PDT 2006

The OutBack FX series inverter's gen start system gives a 12vdc output -
not a relay (switch) closure when it signals the generator to run.  A
small 12vdc coil relay is required to provide the circuit "closure" to
signal the Kohler to run.

We used a separate relay because there where too many times we saw a
complete SW series inverters coming back for repair because someone
hooked up the genstart relay incorrectly and had the full starter
current go through it.  With a separate relay its easy to replace in the
field if a mistake is made.

Also - thanks Jay for pointing out that the MATE does include quiet time
- in fact you can set the quiet time different on weekends than weekdays
with the OutBack gen management system.

The Kohler just needs a connection of the start (RUN) terminal to
battery negative in order to run.  Since the battery negative is
connected to the chassis of the generator (like in a car) the term
"ground" is used.  I have seen this result in ground faults more than
once - so be sure to watch how the generator is wired up...

Christopher

David Palumbo wrote:

> For my education - you said to use a 12v relay (which I understand is
> usually used so the Aux dry contacts on the OB do not want to see any
> current) then you say "but the Kohler is ground started". Does this but
> mean
> that we really don't need the 12v relay in this start circuit because
> there
> is no current? I'm unclear as to the necessity of the 12v relay in this
> case. DP
>
> << You will only need a 12v relay as the contacts from the FX are 12
> powered, but the Kohler is ground started.  So just connect the relay
> to close on command from the aux relay and hook up the NO contacts to
> the genny and you are set to go. >> Jay
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
> On May 12, 2006, at 5:48 AM, David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light
> wrote:
>

> > What part(s) do I need to add to a basic Out Back off grid pv
> > system for
> > automatic gen start/stop? Must include a clock prohibiting gen run
> > during
> > overnight (the old Trace SW quiet time).
> >
> > Client just received a brand new two wire start Kohler LP 8.5k
> > (8.5RES)generator. As far as I can see the OB FX2524T and Mate do
> > not have a
> > quiet time in their program.
> >
> > Would any of the after market gen control products help with this?
> > Such as
> > Solar Converters GS2, or GSCM's control module?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Dave
> >

> - - - -
>
> Archive of previous messages: