Favorite tool [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 21:39:58 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hey Folks,

Fun topic.  I went out a bought some "parachute organizer bags"  - Thanks Ray!

My favorite tools:

My Calibrated Pace - i.e.  once you know the distance of your stride,
it's a great pre-measure tool for conduit runs, etc.  If you use it
alot you hardly need a tape measure for along the ground measuring -
great for microhydro or other long pipe runs over several hundred
feet.  I'm usually within 3' every100 - often better.  Try it - the
more you use it the more accurate it gets!

My Eyes - amazing what a level and square they are!  Eye protection
is a close second!

My Hands - Combined with the brain, it's amazing how one can start a
thread blind upside down and backwards in a tight space.  Patience
and a meditative presence will make sure the screw starts before the
frustration does!

And on the inanimate side - did no one mention the Amp Clamp?  Love
my Fluke 337 - up to a 1000 Amps DC (I've been know to build an
electric car or two)- great for watching battery charging rates and
changes, etc. etc. etc., effect of shading on PV modules, etc etc.

And Vise-Grips?  Be lost without them!

And my swivel-head 16" Craftsman 3/8" Ratchet drive - nothing like it
for reaching a top clip bolt across a panel on a steep roof.

Laser Levels are cool too.

And my Mac Powerbook pretty much runs my business!

This List is a great tool too!  Been a true pleasure and great
resource over the years.  As a Searchable database it's great!

Best,

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design

>Great Topic I'm sure we're all tool hounds.
>Kelly, I tried driving smaller trucks, but I need my 4x4 Dodge
>diesel to move big battery banks to hard to reach places. I run it
>on biodiesel when I can get it. Most of the time I drive a 25 mpg 2x
>mini pickup for regular stuff.
>>Some one asked about doing knock outs: we too got a 1/2" impact
>>driver that does a great job driving our slug buster kit. Man doing
>>those by hand is totally 20th century.
>>A tool no one has mentioned:  a military type compass that also
>>does angles of inclination. One little pocket tool to get your
>>modules dialed in for both azimuth and tilt.
>>My siting tool's compass is pretty bad, but I like the tool
>>otherwise. For tricky situations, I go back to the solar data, take
>>angle measurements, and work it out on paper.( I remember someone
>>here mentioning software for this?)
>>A Palm OS hand held computer. I've got it running my wire sizing,
>>and system sizing spreadsheets, the thing boots up in under 2
>>seconds, has 200 mhz processor, its great.
>>We have a built in inverter on the truck (El brando cheapo) that
>>manages to run power tools when we need it. We even had it on a
>>quick retractable cord reel.
>>A Heavy duty roof rack for carrying 6" mounting poles, conduit,
>>ladders, etc is great too.
>>My favorite is my little 4" wide, full length trenching shovel. It
>>gets in and clears out just enough dirt to get your conduit in the
>>ground. We also carry a set of plastic gardening hand tools for
>>delicate jobs (uncovering direct burial cables, digging up under
>>footings, or anytime you find yourself clawing at the ground with
>>your bare hands.)
>>Parachute organizer bags from Duluth Trading are great for smaller
>>parts, like screws, 1/2 and 3/4" conduit fittings, wire nuts, etc.
>>Ladder saddle bags are good for organizing all your stuff (drills
>>etc) at the top of the ladder, so you don't have keep coming down,
>>or drop something on somebody.
>>LED headlights (already mentioned) My favorite is a cheapy from Energizer.
>>I'm about to bite the bullet and go for the Makita Lithium Ion
>>battery drill. Anybody running one?
>OK, OK I'll stop before I beat this to death, but I probably went
>into this biz so I could justify my tool habit. BTW anybody else
>interested in starting a 12 step "tool buyers anynomous" program?
>otherwise I'm thinking about a ground impedance measuring set, a
>hammerdrill driven ground rod driver, a Fluke 43 power analyzer, no
>wonder I'm not making any money......
>
>Ray
>
>  Kelly Larson wrote:
>
>>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Is your computer freezing up or slowing down?
>>Repair corrupt files and harmful errors - protect your PC
>>Take a 2-minute PC health check-up at no charge!
>>http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8QcscjkcSYa/PC Powerscan
> [...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
72 Baker Rd.