Favorite tool [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon May 8 19:16:47 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Great Topic I'm sure we're all tool hounds.
 Kelly, I tried driving smaller trucks, but I need my 4x4 Dodge diesel
to move big battery banks to hard to reach places. I run it on biodiesel
when I can get it. Most of the time I drive a 25 mpg 2x mini pickup for
regular stuff.
 >Some one asked about doing knock outs: we too got a 1/2" impact driver
that does a great job driving our slug buster kit. Man doing those by
hand is totally 20th century.
 >A tool no one has mentioned:  a military type compass that also does
angles of inclination. One little pocket tool to get your modules dialed
in for both azimuth and tilt.
 >My siting tool's compass is pretty bad, but I like the tool otherwise.
For tricky situations, I go back to the solar data, take angle
measurements, and work it out on paper.( I remember someone here
mentioning software for this?)
 >A Palm OS hand held computer. I've got it running my wire sizing, and
system sizing spreadsheets, the thing boots up in under 2 seconds, has
200 mhz processor, its great.
 >We have a built in inverter on the truck (El brando cheapo) that
manages to run power tools when we need it. We even had it on a quick
retractable cord reel.
 >A Heavy duty roof rack for carrying 6" mounting poles, conduit,
ladders, etc is great too.
 >My favorite is my little 4" wide, full length trenching shovel. It
gets in and clears out just enough dirt to get your conduit in the
ground. We also carry a set of plastic gardening hand tools for delicate
jobs (uncovering direct burial cables, digging up under footings, or
anytime you find yourself clawing at the ground with your bare hands.)
 >Parachute organizer bags from Duluth Trading are great for smaller
parts, like screws, 1/2 and 3/4" conduit fittings, wire nuts, etc.
 >Ladder saddle bags are good for organizing all your stuff (drills etc)
at the top of the ladder, so you don't have keep coming down, or drop
something on somebody.
 >LED headlights (already mentioned) My favorite is a cheapy from Energizer.
 >I'm about to bite the bullet and go for the Makita Lithium Ion battery
drill. Anybody running one?
OK, OK I'll stop before I beat this to death, but I probably went into
this biz so I could justify my tool habit. BTW anybody else interested
in starting a 12 step "tool buyers anynomous" program? otherwise I'm
thinking about a ground impedance measuring set, a hammerdrill driven
ground rod driver, a Fluke 43 power analyzer, no wonder I'm not making
any money......

Ray

  Kelly Larson wrote:

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Is your computer freezing up or slowing down?
>Repair corrupt files and harmful errors - protect your PC
>Take a 2-minute PC health check-up at no charge!
>http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8QcscjkcSYa/PC Powerscan
>
>Hello fellow wrenches,
>
>To get better gas mileage, I work out of a lightweight vehicle.  My
>Subaru Legacy gets 23-25 MPH and never gets stuck down the dirt roads
>which are my saltworks.  I am always looking for ways to lighten my load
>of tools, so:
>
>I am looking for a crimp tool that has a rachet (multiplies my hand
>power), is small (lightweight) and will crimp at least up to #6.
>
>Also looking for new ways to use my new cordless Ryobi kit. I got the
>one with the impact driver as well as 10 other useful, if cheap,
>cordless tools for $250/kit.
>
>Does anyone have a way to use these tools to power a manual KO kit?  I
>have dreamed of powering this task.
>
>I broke the socket attachment for my new impact driver the first time I
>used it.  Recognizing the value of this tool, I will replace it with a
>quality brand.
>
>I love my tools!  Thank you Wiliam for bringing up this subject.
>
>Kelly Larson
>BSEE
>Ca Electrical Contractor #868189

- - - -