Blades / was tower vibration [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Sun Apr 30 08:46:40 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

I think I know what's causing the confusion here....2 very important
factors that are often over looked.

The over all mass or weight of the turbine....and it's rpm range. In
this discussion, I'll bet some people are thinking of the older Jakes
and similar large, heavy, low rpm machines.

The old Whisper H1500 is a relatively light 77 pounds and an rpm at
rated power over 1000.
Any amount of weight difference between the blades (3.5 oz is a
significant amount!) will show up as vibration...causing tail waggle,
tower and guy oscillation, down tower wire slapping, etc.

Compare this to a similar rated machine such as the AWP 3.6....250
pounds and 350 rpm at rated power. We still need to balance these blades
occasionally but it has a much greater tolerance to weight differences.
If you want vibration, try running the old 2 bladed Whisper
1000.....used the same blades as the H1500...wood core. This machine was
a bear to keep in balance....makes a great hobby!

As Bob said, automobile tires are a great example. 2 or 3 oz of weight
can make a huge difference!

Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
NYSERDA eligible PV & wind installer