UL listing of lightning arrestors [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 12 15:44:11 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

I know conventional wisdom holds that adding protection against lighting
(and other faults) is always a good thing... lots of people seem ready
to recommend lightning arrestors (and many other devices), but I've
never encountered any technically sound substantiation for them.

So, I'm wondering... has anyone on this list done testing or developed
some sort of substantiation (or come across such results) to justify the
use of lightning arrestors? In other words, has anyone actually
demonstrated that in the event of a particular real-world strike/fault,
they actually absorb work? As in, do they absorb enough energy to
protect equipment that otherwise would have failed, but do so without
also blowing up and turning into a fireball electrical hazard?

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com